The Fall of Five
(Lorien Legacies #4)
Author: Pittacus Lore
Publisher: Penguin UK
Publication Date: August 27th, 2013
Pages: 342 (UK Paperback)
Genre: YA – Adventure, Paranormal, Science-Fiction
I thought things would change when I found the others.
We would stop running. We would fight the Mogadorians. And we would win.
But I was wrong. Even though we have come together, we barely escaped from them with our lives. And now we’re in hiding, figuring out our next move.
The six of us are powerful — but not strong enough to take on their entire army. We haven’t discovered the full extent of our Legacies. We haven’t learned to work together. Time is running out, and there’s only one thing we know for certain: we need to find Number Five before they do.
They caught Number One in Malaysia. Number Two in England. And Number Three in Kenya. I am Number Four. I was supposed to be next.
But I am still alive.
The battle is far from over.
In bullet points…
What I liked:
- Most of the characters, like the badass and practical Six, the violent-loving and blunt Nine, the kind-hearted Marina and OMG EIGHT! Marina didn’t really stand out for me in the previous books but I grew to love her character and friendly personality. OH AND I NEED MORE EIGHT!!
- The romance between Marina and Eight is so heartbreaking considering what happen at the end of the book :’( I NEED MORE OF THEM…
- The climax of the book is so tense and action-packed, unlike the first 80%. I think it’s the best part of the book. There’s a surprising revelation that left me “WTF YOU KIDDING ME? NO WAY NO WAYYY?! WHERE’S BOOK 5???”
- The writing works really well with action scenes!
What I didn’t like:
- The dominating romance. Part of the reason why the last 20% is so badass is because nothing actually happens before. The first 80% is romance-filled and drama-filled. Some of the events I had been waiting for since the previous books happen just like THAT and I was like “that’s it? THAT’S IT?? SERIOUSLY?!” I expected more…. :/
- Some of the characters like Sarah (yes, I still hate her until now) and Five. I WANNA PUNCH FIVE IN THE FACE!! And John (Number Four) is the leader-like guy in the book but he just seems too perfect and I found his character less likable. It felt like he gets the spotlight far too often from the previous books until now. However, I’d like to see his future development after witnessing THAT EVENT at the end of the book.
- The writing felt like telling instead of showing at the non-battle parts. I think some dialogues aren’t necessary and rather useless.
Lorien Legacies series is indeed going downhill. The plot feels like a drag and I think it would have been better to make this series a trilogy instead of adding more books and ends up dragging the story. I was at the brink of giving The Fall of Five two stars due to the dominating romance but this book is saved by awesome characters (mostly) and the last 20%. Plus, in the end The Fall of Five gave me the urgency to read the next book (which will be released next year ._.) and SOOOO MANY FEELS!!!